Making pizza from scratch
500g Strong white bread flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
7g dried active baking yeast
2 tablespoons olive oil
325ml warm water
Extra plain flour for work surface
1. Put the flour and yeast and salt in a large bowl and mix together. Make a well in the centre of the mix.
2. Stir the sugar into the warm water then add to the well in the centre of the dry mix. Work for the outer edge and mix all the dry ingredients into the water.
3. When the mix has come together turn out on to a lightly floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes. At this stage the dough should be soft and spring back when lightly touched.
4. Flour the dough and cover with cling and leave to rest for about 15 minutes.
5. Divide the dough into 3 or 4 pieces depending on how many pizza bases you want to make.
6. Taking one pieces at a time roll out on a very lightly floured surface. Ideally the base should be 5mm thick but you can be creative on the shape. Why not try, oval, or square for a change!
7. Place on a baking tray and leave the rolled bases for 15 to 30 minutes to rest. Meanwhile preheat the oven to 200C/fan 180 C/ gas mark 6. When ready to bake add your desired topping and bake for 7 to 8 minutes.