Exploring rocket take offs with fizzy tablets and water!
- Paper, regular 8-1/2- by 11-inch paper, such as computer printer paper or even notebook paper.
- Plastic 35-mm film canister (see hints below)
- Cellophane tape
- Effervescing (fizzing) antacid tablet (the kind used to settle an upset stomach) or similar
- Paper towels
- Groundsheet if working indoors
- Eye protection (like eye glasses, sun glasses, or safety glasses)
1. Cut out all the pieces for your rocket.
2. Wrap and tape a tube of paper around the film canister. Hint: Tape the canister to the end of the paper before you start wrapping.
3. Important! Place the lid end of the canister down.
4. Tape fins to your rocket body, if you want.
5. Roll the circle (with a wedge cut out) into a cone and tape it to the rocket's top.
1. Put on your eye protection and put down the grondsheet if working indoors
2. Turn the rocket upside down and remove the canister's lid.
3. Fill the canister one-third full of water.
Now work quickly on the next steps!
1. Drop one-half of an effervescing antacid tablet into the canister.
2. Snap the lid on tight.
3. Stand your rocket on a launch platform, such as your sidewalk or driveway.
4. Stand back and wait. Your rocket will blast off!