An exciting and creative activity exploring learning how volcanoes erupt!
One of the 'Cub Year Of Adventure 2015' activities
Sand, vinegar, red food Colouring, sodium bicarbonate, bowl, small plastic pot, teaspoon.
1. Divide the pack into teams.
2. Provide them all with the equipment.
3. Now ask them to make their volcanoes.
4. Ask each team to put a small plastic pot in the centre of a bowl and fill the bowl with sand to the top of the pot creating a volcano shape.
5. Now put vinegar and red food colour into the plastic pot.
6. Add a teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate.
7. Now stand back and watch the volcano erupt!
Tips: Ask the teams to discuss why volcanoes exist and what they are.
Explain to them that a volcano is a mountain with a pool of molten rock below the surface. If a volcano is active, from time to time the molten rock and the gases that lie beneath will sometimes erupt, cause lava and gases to be realised.