Night Hike through bush in Winter following bush tracks.
Initial map work with compass and GPS.
Using buddy system, a leader still gets lost, and Bush Search and Rescue techniques have to be used.
Wet Weather Gear
Decent walking shoes / boots
First Aid Kit
All Scouts will require Wet Weather gear, day bag, torch, solid footwear.
PL's to bring and carry patrol first aid kit.
Buddy System explained
Search & Rescue techniques in bush
- Use of Whistle (Stop and Listen)
- If you come to a road / trail - stop there
- Refer to TOPAC search May 2015 where youth left area of activity and was not found as he was outside of the Search Area
Plan a route of approximately 4-5kms for Scouts
- This could be done as part of Silver Scout Award:
* Complete Part A AIF
- This could be done as part of Gold Scout Award:
*Use GPS or Compass to plan and follow a simple Route