Take part in activities that explore your 5 senses
Sheets of paper divided into 5 boxes (one sheet each)
Eye masks or neckerchiefs (blindfolds) if doing taste test
For taste test, different pieces of fruit on paper plates, dark chocolate/milk chocolate or Fair Trade chocolate
Safety note: please check in advance if any of your Ladybirds has an allergy
Ask the Ladybirds do they know what the 5 senses are i.e. hearing, sight, taste, touch and smell.
Take the Ladybirds for a short walk outside to discover what they can smell, see, touch, hear and taste and they are going to use the prepared sheets to write or draw under each heading.
• Hearing – listen to the surrounding noise (what can they hear, put it on their sheet)
• Sight – look around at what they can see (draw a picture or write what they can see on their sheet)
• Taste – have a picnic (describe what they are eating e.g. is it sour, sweet and put it on their sheet)
• Smell – what smells can they identify (draw a picture or write what they can smell)
• Touch – different items you could find outside - grass, stones, muck etc. (write it on their sheet)
Optional - If you do not have a picnic for taste test:
To test the sense of taste, when they get back into the hall, blindfold each Ladybird and let them taste different foods to see can they figure out what they are eating without being able to see. One of the Leaders could stay behind to set this up. You could have two different types of the same food e.g. chocolate v Fair Trade chocolate and different pieces of fruit that the Ladybirds might not have tried before.
Did any of them use any of their other 5 senses (e.g. smell to smell what they were tasting while blindfolded?).