5. Discuss ways of including everybody in Brownie Guides and how we can ensure no one is left out (4 Corners)
This game highlights the feeling of being unsure if you’ll be included or not and the powerlessness of being excluded for an unknown reason.
Choose 4 Team Leader
Discreetly give each Team Leader a characteristic that will allow someone to join their team – quite an obvious physical characteristic, eg: glasses, jeans, shoe type, hair colour, height, etc.
Make it clear to the Team Leader that they are not to tell anyone the characteristic, even when the game is finished!
Each Team Leader has a corner
The remaining girls walk around the outside of the room in silence, and pass each of the Team Leaders extending their hand to each leader in anticipation of a handshake.
The Team Leader shakes her hand if a girl can join her group.
When girls have walked round enough times – there will usually be some girls not chosen – Adult Leader calls an end to the game.
Adult Leader then asks if they can figure out why they were picked.
Play a few rounds if the girls are finding it fun.
Ask the Team Leaders:
• How they felt about having to accept or reject girls
• How the girls felt about being accepted
• How those not chosen felt about not being chosen
• Was it fair?
• How could it have been made fair?
• How they felt about not knowing whether they’d be chosen
• Was it fair?
• Could it have been made fair?
Irish Girl Guides Outreach Pack