Making Key Lime Pie
Ingredients (adjust as required for smaller portion sizes)
Makes: 1 (23cm) key lime pie
200g unsalted butter
375g plain digestive biscuits, crushed
8 large limes
570ml double cream
1 (397g) can sweetened condensed milk
85g crème fraîche
Small baking/ceramic dish around 12 cm in diameter that can be put in the fridge. Ramekins will be ideal if you have them
Table and tea spoons
Lemon juicer (no Vitamixes or Bullets)
Washing up liquid
Prep:20min › Extra time:2hr30min chilling › Ready in:2hr50min
1. Melt the butter in a small pan and stir in the crushed biscuits. Lightly press into the base of a 23cm deep loose-bottomed cake tin and place in the fridge to set for about 30 minutes.
2. Grate the zest of 3 limes and set aside. Slice 1 lime as thin as possible and set aside. Juice the remaining 7 limes into a large bowl or the bowl of a food processor.
3. Add the cream and condensed milk and whisk for 4 minutes. Add the lime zest to the mixture and lightly stir with a wooden spoon.
4. Take the biscuit base out of the fridge and use a spatula to transfer the cream mixture onto the biscuit base.
5. Decorate with a dollop of crème fraîche and thin lime slices at regular intervals.
6. Place in the fridge and chill for 2 hours.