make a volcano using a container, play dough and then watch the volcano erruption take place by mixing the lava
Play dough (any color, but red or brown are always good ones)
Empty film canister
Tablespoon of bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
Tablespoon of vinegar
1. Sculpt your play dough until it's in the shape of a volcano.
2. Make a hole in the top of your volcano, large enough to fit the empty film canister into.
3. Insert the empty film canister into the hole. If you wish, you can adjust your play dough around the canister so that the opening resembles that of a real volcano. Just be careful not to cover the canister opening.
4. Now it's time to make some molten lava that will spew forth from the volcano!
5. Add a tablespoon of bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) to the empty canister. Next, add a tablespoon of vinegar to the canister. Stand back and watch your volcano come to life!
You can adjust the levels of baking soda and vinegar to control the reaction to make it fiercer or less fierce, depending on what you prefer. Make sure you conduct this experiment in a place where you don't mind making a mess (like outdoors)!
This activity doesn't complete any badge requirements