A selection of games for a potted sports evening. Keep games fun, Could set up as stations and work the way round. Taken from the BB Juniors Pro Pack Body B-5
6 Bean bags
5 Table tennis balls
5 plastic cups
1. Games should be set up around the hall(s). If space is limited you may need to amend some of the distances which are given for each game.
2. Each team will start at a different game. Each game should be played for between 2-4 minutes and then time is given to change-over. It is suggested that the following times be allocated:
1st whistle Teams are at designated game and are instructed in 1 minute how to play it
2nd whistle Game begins and is played for designated time
3rd whistle Games stops and team moves to next game
3. A time-keeper should be appointed to signal the appropriate times as above.
4. A leader should be assigned to each Game. The role of the leader will be to:
• Explain briefly to each team how to play the game
• Supervise each team as they play the game
• Keep the score for each team
• Ensure that the 6 boys rotate in order during the game
5. At the end of each game the leader will fill in a score-sheet for each team. A copy of a suggested score sheet is enclosed. This should be photocopied for each team taking place and cut up into ‘games’. The score-sheets should be collected at the end of each time period and scores for each game put in ‘place order’.
6. The scoring system will be on a points basis, based on the number of teams, ie. if there are 5 teams competing in the competition the winners of each game will get 5 points, 2nd 4 points, etc. The overall winner will have the highest points score. In the event of a tie for the overall winner, the team with the greatest number of 1st places will be declared the winner.
Game 1 - Bean Bag Throw
The chair is placed 2 metres from the start line. The chair should be placed sideways so there is no ‘back’ on it.
From the start line person 1 throws the 6 bean bags, one at a time, on to the seat of the chair. The number of bean bags remaining on the chair at the end of his turn are counted. He collects all 6 bean bags and gives them to the next person. Each person continues in turn until the time is up.
TEAM SCORE Total number of bean bags.
Game 2 - Side Jumps
2 lengths of masking tape 0.5metres apart are placed on the floor.
Person 1 does 10 side jumps followed by person 2 etc. until the time is up.
TEAM SCORE Total number of jumps
Game 3 - Quoit and Stick
A chair is placed on the floor with the start line being marked at a distance of 2 metres from the chair.
The quoit is placed on the start line. Person 1 places the stick inside the quoit and propels the quoit once, aiming to put it between the legs of the chair. One point is given for each successful attempt. He retrieves the quoit and gives it and the stick to the next person. Each person continues in turn until the time is up.
TEAM SCORE Total number of successful attempts
Game 4 - Pass and Sit
The hoop is placed on the floor 2 metres from the start line. Person 1 stands in the hoop with the ball. People 2,3,4,5,6 line up behind the start line.
Person 1 throws the ball to person 2 who catches it, throws it back to person 1 and sits down. Person 1 then throws the ball to person 3, over the head of person 2. Again Person 3 throws the ball back to person 1 and sits down. This continues until person 6 catches the ball. He runs to take the place of person 1 while person 1 joins on in front of the team ie. in front of person 2, behind the line. Continue is this way with the back person replacing the ‘thrower’ as appropriate.
TEAM SCORE Total number of good ‘throw and catches’
Game 5 - Shuttle Bucket
Person 1 hits each of the 3 shuttlecocks in turn with the badminton racket, aiming to get them into the bucket. I point is scored for each shuttlecock which lands in the bucket. He retrieves the shuttlecocks and gives them to the next person. Each person continues in turn until the time is up.
TEAM SCORE Total number of shuttlecocks which landed in the bucket
Game 6 - Football Dribble
The 6 obstacles are placed in a line on the floor at a distance of 0.5 metres apart. The start line is drawn 1 metre from the first obstacle.
Each person in turn dribbles the ball up and down the course, through the obstacles as appropriate.
TEAM SCORE Total number of times the course is completed.
Game 7 - Ping Pong Bounce
The hoop is placed on the floor and the start line is marked 1.5 metres from the front of the hoop. The basket with the table tennis balls is placed beside the hoop.
Boy 1 stands in the hoop and boy 2 stands on the start line facing him with boys 3,4,5,6 behind him. Boys 2 – 6 hold a plastic cup each. Boy 1 bounces a table tennis ball and boy 2 attempts to catch it in the cup. I point is scored for each successful catch. Boy 2 replaces the ball in the basket and joins the end of the line. Boy 1 repeats for Boys 3-6 and is then replaced by boy 2 (boy 1 goes behind boy 6). Continue until the time is up.
TEAM SCORE Total number of catches
Game 8 - Running Round Relay
A large circle is drawn on the floor of the hall (size of circle depends on space available). 6 marks at regular intervals are made around the circle, with masking tape.
Boys are positioned on the marks around the circle. Boy 1 runs with the baton round the outside of the circle, behind the other boys, in a clockwise direction. When he returns to his place he passes the baton/stick to the boy on his left, who continues as before. 1 point is scored as each boy completes the circuit. Boys continue in turn until the time is up.
TEAM SCORE Total number of circuits completed
Game 9 - Target Shoot
The skittles are placed in a straight line 0.5 metres apart. An X is marked on the floor with masking tape 2 metres from the line of skittles, opposite the middle skittle. (Mark floor where each skittle stands to make it easier to replace them).
From the X boy 1 kicks each of the 3 balls, aiming to knock down a skittle with each ball. 1 point is scored for each skittle knocked down. The boy retrieves the balls and gives them to boy 2. The Officer replaces the skittles. Each boy continues in turn until the time is up.
TEAM SCORE Total number of skittles knocked down
Game 10 - Hoop Catch
The team forms a circle, arms length apart. Boy 1 holds the tennis ball. The others, clasping their own hands together, hold out their arms in front of them to represent a hoop.
Boy 1 drops the ball through the ‘hoop’ of the boy on his right, lets the ball bounce, catches it again and proceeds round the circle this way until he reaches his own place. He gives the ball to the boy on his right and makes a hoop himself. Boy 2,3,4….. continue in the same way until the time is up.
TEAM SCORE Total number of times the ball is caught