It is often interesting to help the young people realise that cooking covers the preparation of all kinds of food. Whereas parents will be the source of their meals, drink is generally thought to come in a can or bottle when it is of the cold variety! Ideal activity for small groups of 4-6 Taken from the BB Juniors Pro Pack CR-26
• 3 lemons
• 75g sugar
• 1 litre water
• Potato peeler or grater
• Lemon squeezer
1. Use “unwaxed” lemons or wash then in hand hot water to remove their preservative coating.
2. Use a potato peeler to get the yellow “zest” off the lemons. An alternative way is to grate the yellow off with a fine cheese grater, but watch the fingers.
3. Put the grated rind and sugar into a plastic bowl. Measure 1 litre of water and bring to the boil in a saucepan. Alternatively if the required amount of water is put into a kettle this can be used to boil it more safely.
4. Pour over the sugar and lemon and stir until the sugar has all dissolved (use a long handled wooden spoon).
5. Allow to cool.
6. Squeeze the juice from all the lemons and add to the sugar solution.
For full details please see BB Juniors Pro Pack CR-26
- simple cooking
This activity doesn't complete any badge requirements