Challenge: Cross an ordnance survey map. Taken from the BB Seniors Challenge Plus Pro Pack, Challenge 100
Ordnance survey map
• Decide which map you are going to cross — will it be your local one or one further afield.
• Carefully plan how you intend to cross the map — work out how many miles it will long will it take? Produce a route card.
• You need to decide on the method of transport that you are going to use to cross the map:
— Car (Do any seniors drive — or perhaps a leader might take you)
— Local transport — bus, train, etc
Tips / Advice:
Local Tourist offices might have cycle routes, which cover your map or local transport timetables to help you plan.
Safety Issues I Risk Assessment:
• Make sure that you have all the necessary skills that you need before you attempt to do this challenge, e.g. map reading.
• Don’t attempt this challenge alone or without anyone knowing. Make sure a leader is aware of your arrangements and plans.
• Carry a mobile phone for emergencies.
• If walking cross country a leader who holds a current Expedition & Outdoor Leadership certificate must supervise this challenge.
• If driving ensure you have appropriate insurance.
For full details see the BB Seniors Challenge Plus Pro Pack, Challenge 100