Aim: To develop team work and fitness through playing volleyball. Taken from the BB Company Section Discoverer Pro Pack, Recreation Sports and Games D3
• Volleyball court and net
• Volleyball or light weight games ball
A standard volleyball court is 18 metres long and 9 metres wide. The net is between 2.24 and 2.43 meres high.
• Each team defends its half of the court to prevent the ball landing on the ground inside the court boundary.
• The game starts by the back player on the right serving from behind the baseline.
• The team has a maximum of 3 hits’ to return the ball to the other side of the net. A player cannot have two consecutive ‘hits’ — but 1st and 3rd hits are allowed.
• The point is lost if the ball is hit outside the court, into the net, or allowed to land in the court.
• If the rally is won by the team which is serving, that team gains a point. If the rally is lost by the team which is serving, the other team gains the serve AND a point. The score changes EVERY time there is a serve.
• When a team wins the serve, the players rotate clockwise by one position.
• The first team to reach 25 points (with a 2 point margin) is the winner.
Tips / Advice:
• Allow players to head the ball as well as using hands.
• If there are more than 12 players, substitute one player in a team, each time the team wins the serve.
• Play the game as an elimination game, e.g. each time a team loses 5 points (or a multiple of 5), they also lose one player.
Safety Issues / Risk Assessment:
If a proper volleyball is not available, use a light weight games ball. Using a heavy ball can cause pain and possibly injury.
For full details see the BB Company Section Discoverer Pro Pack, Recreation Sports and Games D3
- sports and Games
- Volley ball
This activity doesn't complete any badge requirements