Make a volcano.
Baking Soda (make sure it's not baking powder)
A container to hold everything and avoid a big mess!
Paper towels or a cloth (just in case)
to encourage an interest in science
Complete 4 of the following options to earn the badge. For every further 4 options completed, you may gain another badge.
• Place some of the baking soda into your container.
• Pour in some of the vinegar
• Watch as the reaction takes place!
• The baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is a base while the vinegar (acetic acid) is an acid. When they react together they form carbonic acid which is very unstable, it instantly breaks apart into water and carbon dioxide, which creates all the fizzing as it escapes the solution.
• For extra effect you can make a realistic looking volcano. It takes some craft skills but it will make your vinegar and baking soda eruptions will look even more impressive!
Attachments/Template needed for activity?