IGG INTEREST BADGE Brownie Environmental Awareness Option 02
Make a poster or a useful item from recycled material (Earth Day Craft)1
blue and green washable markers (we used Crayola brand),
squirt bottle or small glass of water
black construction paper
Optional: white paint, old toothbrush and lollipop stick
• Flatten out a coffee filter on a plate.
• Scribble the filter with blue and green washable markers.
• Use a squirt bottle to spray the coffee filter 2 or 3 times.
• Squirt right in the centre of the filter and then sit and watch the water spread the colours over the filter (this takes 4 or 5 minutes).
• Don’t over wet the filter... The project still works, but it won't turn out quite as pretty (the colours tend to blend too much if you soak the filter). To help prevent this, encourage the children to squirt it just once in the middle and watch for a bit so they can see the process unfold. You can always add more water later if it doesn't get wet all the way to the edge after 5 minutes or so.
• Let dry (this takes about 1/2 an hour, but will take longer if the filter has been soaked by an over-zealous crafter!).
• After it dries, colour some more dark blue in the centre and squirt it once with water.
Optional: Splatter paint a piece of black construction paper:
o Cover your work area with newspaper
o Dip a toothbrush into white paint and tap it off to get rid of the excess
o Hold it over the black paper and lightly rub the edge of the lollipop stick against the toothbrush to splatter dots of white paint onto the paper.
o Repeat until your black paper looks like a star filled universe.
o Set aside to dry
Trefoil News Spring Edition 2017
- Environmental awareness
- Recyled material
- Trefoil News
- Trefoil News Spring Edition 2017
This activity doesn't complete any badge requirements