Imagine going on a foreign trip, what steps do you need to take to prepare for it
Aim of Badge
To encourage an interest in foreign travel
Complete 3 of these options. For every additional 3 options you complete, you achieve another badge.
Introduction Take a trip to ………
The World Health Organisation have identified 91 countries around the world, mainly in Africa, Asia and South America where international travellers could be at risk of malaria infection
Explain to the Brownies diseases like malaria make you very sick.
You catch Malaria from a small fly called a Mosquito.
It is important when going to any of these countries to go to the doctors and get your vaccinations to help prevent you from catching the disease, and use
mosquito nets around you bed when you sleep.
The aim of the game to reinforce what Malaria is and how dangerous it can be
• Print the following word on cards CLEAN WATER, MOSQUITO NET, INSECT REPELLANT, HOLIDAYS, MOSQUITO BITES
• Give each Six a card
• Each Six must act out their word in silence
• The rest of the Unit tries to guess what the words is
Follow the activity by discussing how the words relate to helping preventing a person catch malaria.
Explain to Brownies if you live in a poor country where there is a shortage of medicine and doctors or a family don’t have enough money to even buy Mosquito nets it can be very difficult to get better if you catch Malaria
Additional Game: NETS SAVE LIVES
• Put up netting -a real mosquito net or window net over a section of the room
• Choose two Brownies to be malaria-carrying mosquitoes and tell everyone else to avoid being caught /bitten
• Play as a normal game of tag in which everyone who is tagged is out
• Every now and then during the game Leader calls out “Bedtime”
• At this everyone has to get behind the mosquito net
• Last Brownie to reach the net is out
• Play until only one Brownie is left