IGG INTEREST BADGE Brownie Global Traveller Option 05
Learn how to say Hello, Goodbye, How are you, Please and Thank you in another language.
Copy of Hello and Goodbye Sheet (see overleaf) per Brownie
PREPARATION: Photocopy the attached worksheet and cut up the cards so that each girl has her own card
Aim of Badge
To encourage an interest in foreign travel
This Badge has 9 options of which 3 must be completed to gain a badge.
Subsequent badges may be earned when an additional 3 options are completed
Hello and Goodbye
• Explain the game by looking at English first. “Hello” literally means ‘good day’ or ‘have a good day’ or ‘God’s day’.
• Hello evolved from hail in old English which evolved from hail from the Norse language which meant health
• Goodbye evolved from ‘God be with you’.
• Ensure that every Brownie can pair up with someone else. If you don’t have 18 participants, leave one or 2 of the languages out. If you have a large group of girls give out extra cards in 1 or 2 of the languages so that girls will end up in groups of 3.
• Give each girl one card with Hello and Goodbye in the language used in that country
• They must match up with girls who are speaking in the same language as them
• In order to do this the girls, need to go around the room and say “hello” and “goodbye” in the language they have on their card and find their partner/group
In pow wow discuss other types of greetings without words e.g. a kiss, handshake.
If there are Brownie from other countries at the meeting - ask them to say hello in their native language.
IGG Outreach Pack 2008
Attachments/Template needed for activity? yes
- global traveller
- interest badge
This activity doesn't complete any badge requirements