Learn how to say Hello, Goodbye, How are you, Please and Thank you in another language.
Copy of Hello and Goodbye Sheet (see overleaf) per Brownie
PREPARATION: Photocopy the attached worksheet and cut up the cards so that each girl has her own card
Aim of Badge
To encourage an interest in foreign travel
This Badge has 9 options of which 3 must be completed to gain a badge.
Subsequent badges may be earned when an additional 3 options are completed
Hello and Goodbye
• Explain the game by looking at English first. “Hello” literally means ‘good day’ or ‘have a good day’ or ‘God’s day’.
• Hello evolved from hail in old English which evolved from hail from the Norse language which meant health
• Goodbye evolved from ‘God be with you’.
• Ensure that every Brownie can pair up with someone else. If you don’t have 18 participants, leave one or 2 of the languages out. If you have a large group of girls give out extra cards in 1 or 2 of the languages so that girls will end up in groups of 3.
• Give each girl one card with Hello and Goodbye in the language used in that country
• They must match up with girls who are speaking in the same language as them
• In order to do this the girls, need to go around the room and say “hello” and “goodbye” in the language they have on their card and find their partner/group
In pow wow discuss other types of greetings without words e.g. a kiss, handshake.
If there are Brownie from other countries at the meeting - ask them to say hello in their native language.
IGG Outreach Pack 2008
Attachments/Template needed for activity? yes