Recognise and appreciate differences in others and how our actions can influence and affect others.
A large room
address labels or post-its to stick on all the girls’ foreheads
PREPARATION: Prepare labels with phrases such as
• Listen to me
• Agree with me
• Disagree with me
• Ignore me
• Ask my opinion
• Do as I say
Aim of Badge
To have a deeper understanding of friendship and how to conduct respectful relationships with others.
This Badge has 5 options of which 5 must be completed
• Divide the Group into small teams of 5 or 6 girls or use Patrols that are already set up.
• Explain that you are going to put a word or sentence on each girl’s forehead and that the other girls in the Patrol must react to them based on what is written on their forehead.
• Pose a question for the Patrol to discuss, for example- ‘What do you get out of being involved in Guiding? ‘What do you like most about being a Guide?’
• The girls must have a chat/discussion about the question that has been posed during which they must react to each girl in the Patrol based on what’s written on her forehead.
• The girls in the Patrol must try to guess what’s written on their forehead.
• After they have guessed, they can look at their label to see if they got it right.
Debriefing and Evaluation:
• How did it feel to be treated according to this label?
• Did it affect their behaviour?
• How did the members of the Patrol interact?
• What type of labels do we attribute to others in real life?
• Is there any label that is common to a whole group of people?
• How do you think it feels to have certain labels attributed to you?
NOTE TO LEADER: The reaction of girls to this activity will vary based on whether they have been given a positive or negative label. They may start to act as they are being treated. Some girls may start to feel under pressure if they are continually being asked their opinion. They will probably find it much harder to work as a Patrol under these circumstances. They will discover that body language can reveal a lot.
IGG Outreach Pack 2008
Attachments/Template needed for activity? No