IGG INTEREST BADGE Guide Cultural Diversity option 03
In a language other than your own, make a collection of useful words and phrases that would help you communicate while travelling.
Leaders’ answer sheet (see overleaf
Aim of Badge
To develop an awareness and appreciation of cultures other than your own
This Badge has 6 options of which 6 must be completed
WHAT’S IN A GESTURE
• Unit sits in a circle
• Give each Guide paper and a pencil
• Ask the girls to number their paper from 1 to 10.
• Make each of the following gestures and ask them to write down what they think they mean. Ask the girls also to indicate if they think the gesture could be considered rude.
1. Beckon with index finger.
2. Point at something in the room,
3. Make a "V" sign. folded and facing away from body.
5. Sit with soles of feet or shoes showing.
6. Form a circle with their fingers to indicate O.K.
7. Hold up the right “pointer” finger with hand folded and facing away from body
8. Pass an item to someone with one hand
9. Wave hand with palm facing outward to greet
10. Nod head up and down
Debriefing and Evaluation:
• How did it go? What was difficult?
• How come it was easier some times and not others?
• Does body language influence communication between
• Has anyone experienced trying to communicate with
someone who has not understood what you were saying?
IGG Outreach Pack 2008
Attachments/Template needed for activity? Yes
- global traveller
- interest badge
This activity doesn't complete any badge requirements