Make your own fossils
What you'll need:
• 1 cup of used coffee grounds
• 1/2 cup of cold coffee
• 1 cup of flour
• 1/2 cup of salt
• Wax paper
• Mixing bowl
• Some small objects to make impressions in the dough (i.e. shells, plastic dinosaurs)
• Empty can or a butter knife
• Toothpicks (optional)
• String to hang your fossil, optional
How to make it:
• Stir together the coffee grounds, cold coffee, flour, and salt until well mixed.
• Knead the dough together and then flatten it out onto the waxed paper.
• Use the can to cut out circles of the dough or use the dull knife to cut slabs large enough to fit your "fossil" objects.
• Press your objects firmly into the dough. When you take the object out, you have your "fossil". If you want to hang the fossil, poke holes into the edge to hold the string.
• Let the fossil dry overnight and then hang it if you wish.
You may have to bake them for a short period to get the "dough" to harden - will not turn "rock hard". They are fun to make and the children enjoy them.
- craft activity
This activity doesn't complete any badge requirements