2. Make a collage or poster about one of the following: b) A festival or celebration from one of the World Faiths (The Dreidel Game)
White card or paper
Dreidel template (see overleaf)
Game pieces (see suggestion overleaf)
How to play per team (see overleaf)
Aim of Badge: To explore different religious faiths from around the world.
This Badge has 5 options of which 5 must be completed.
Brownies must complete either (a) or (b) of Option 2.
The Dreidel Game
A dreidel is a spinning top with four sides, each marked with a different Hebrew letter (nun, gimel, hey and shin).
The custom of playing dreidel on Hanukkah is based on a legend that when the ancient Greeks outlawed the study of Torah, (Pronounced: TORE-uh - the Five Books of Moses) Jewish children defied the decree and studied anyway.
When a Greek official would come close they would put away their books and take out spinning tops - to outsmart them - claiming they were just playing games.
To make the dreidel:
1. Print template (see overleaf), ideally to make one dreidel per Six
2. Cut along the edges
3. Fold along the flaps and lines
4. Form the top shape and glue these flaps (square shape)
5. Cut a small x in the small circle
6. Glue the lower flaps into place
7. If using paper, seal all joints with Sellotape to strengthen
8. Stick a straw or wooden dowel through the x until it reaches the bottom of the dreidel
See instructions overleaf.
Attachments/Template needed for activity? Yes