IGG SPECIAL FOCUS GUIDE SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOAL THREE, GOOD HEALTH AND WELL-BEING Option 06
6. Know what immunisations and vaccinations you have received and what others might be desirable (The Vaccination Board-game)
42 sheets A4 Card (Mixed Colours)
Photocopy Game (see overleaf)
Dice per Patrol
Coloured Counters 6 per Patrol (if possible give each Patrol a different colour)
a) To introduce the SDG Goal 3 to Guides, and show how they can help achieve this goal
b) Learn about the importance of leading a healthy lifestyle, eating a balanced diet and exercise regularly
c) To focus on the international aspect of healthcare and wellbeing
This badge has 8 options of which the first option plus 4 other options must be completed
The Vaccination Board game
Discuss how children are given vaccinations at various stages in their lives to promote health e.g. MMR (Measles, Mumps & Rubella). Full list is available @ http://hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/pubinfo/pcischedule/immschedule/
Photocopy board game and Vaccinations onto A4 coloured cards (See overleaf)
Cut each vaccinations card into 4 individual cards.
• Lay the 36 cards around the room in number order so they make a pathway
• Place the vaccination cards beside the board card of the same name
• Give each Patrol a dice and a set of counters
• Each Guide take her turn throwing the dice
• Patrol must throw a 6 to start
• The first time they roll a 6, the Patrol walk to the first vaccination spot and place a counter (either the whole Patrol or one Guide depending on space) and collect a vaccination card.
• Continue playing until at least one Patrol have collected a set of vaccination cards (6 in total)
Discuss the game some more with your Guides:
• Explain how, when germs enter our bodies, our immune system recognises them as foreign bodies (antigens). Our immune system then produces the antibodies to fight them.
• In Developing countries, the children are not so lucky and do not have access to immunisation.
• If your immune system is low because of lack of food, clean water or proper shelter your body is not able to fight the germs.
• In these poorer countries a lot of children and adults do not have some of the basic necessities of life and get very ill and/or die.
Acknowledgement/Sources IGG GAT Pack
Attachments/Template needed for activity? Yes 42 pages
- Branch Weekend 2018
- global traveller
- healthy body
- IGG SPECIAL FOCUS Sustainable Development Goals (SDG’S)
- Interest Badge Guide Global Traveller
- Interest Badge Guide Healthy Body
- special focus
- SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS
This activity doesn't complete any badge requirements