IGG SPECIAL FOCUS Brownie Sustainable Development Goals 03
No. 3. Good Health and Well-being (Activity 3 The Vaccination Board Game)
36sheets A4 Card (Mixed Colours)
Photocopy Game (see overleaf)
Dice per Six
Coloured Counters 6 per Six (if possible give each Six a different colour)
Aim Please refer to Leaders introduction (IGG Brownie Special Focus No 3 (Leaders Introduction to Activities)
The Vaccination Board Game
Discuss how children are given vaccinations at various stages in their lives to promote health e.g. MMR (Measles, Mumps & Rubella). Full list is available @ http://hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/pubinfo/pcischedule/immschedule/
Photocopy board game and Vaccinations onto A4 coloured cards
Cut each vaccinations card into 4 individual cards.
• Lay the 36 cards around the room in number order so they make a path
• Place the 4 vaccination cards beside the board card of the same name
• Give each six a dice and a set of counters
• Each Brownie take her turn throwing the dice
• The Six must throw a 6 to start
• The first time they roll a 6, the Six walk to the first vaccination spot and place a counter (either the whole six or one Brownie depending on space) and collect a vaccination card.
• Continue playing until at least one Six have collected a full set of vaccination cards (6 in total)
Discuss the game some more with your Brownies:
• Explain how, when germs enter our bodies, our immune system recognises them as foreign bodies (antigens). Our immune system then produces the antibodies to fight them. In Developing countries, the children are not so lucky and do not have access to immunisation.
• If your immune system is low because of lack of food, clean water or proper shelter your body is not able to fight the germs.
• In these poorer countries a lot of children and adults do not have some of the basic necessities of life and get very ill and/or die.
IGG GAT Pack
Attachments/Template needed for activity? Yes
- Branch Weekend 2018
- IGG SPECIAL FOCUS Sustainable Development Goals (SDG’S)
- SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS
- Vaccination Board Game
This activity doesn't complete any badge requirements