World Thinking Day 2018: Impact Two Stars No.4
CITIZENSHIP BRINGS IMPACT
Learning outcome: Discover the impact humans have on the environment.
Preparations: pencil and paper.
Test your global citizenship knowledge and play the Our Chalet eco-challenge.
Split your group into two or more smaller teams and compare their knowledge of the environment.
The team that has the most correct answers wins.
1. A PC monitor left on overnight wastes…
a. Enough energy to print 800 A4 pages
b. Uses a little energy to keep the screen warm ready for the next day
c. Doesn’t use much energy at all
2. What is the most effective way to save water in the laundry?
a. Line-dry your clothes instead of tumble drying
b. Fill the washing machine to maximum capacity
c. Use energy efficient appliances
d. Reuse rinse water from the washing machine
3. Which of the following products requires the most water to create it?
a. One cotton T-shirt
b. One hamburger
c. One microchip
d. One cup of coffee
4. In the bathroom, you can save water by:
a. Taking a shorter shower
b. Turning off the tap while brushing your teeth
c. Using the “little button” when flushing
d. All of the above
5. Roughly what quantity of pages does the average office worker print annually?
a. 10,000 pages
b. 7,500 pages
c. 5,000 pages
d. 2,000 pages
6. How much can you save on your heating bills by turning down your thermostat by 1˚C?
7. When it comes to LED (Light Emitting Diode) light bulbs, what percent of the energy they consume is used to create visible light?
a. 80%; only 20% is wasted heat
b. 0%; LED bulbs are not very efficient
8. What can all Our Chalet guests and you do at home to reduce energy wastage?
a. Turn off lights when leaving a room
b. Keep windows and doors shut
c. Unplug phone chargers when the phone is fully charged
d. All of the above
Correct Answers: 1a, 2c, 3b, 4d, 5a, 6b, 7a, 8d.
Discuss with your group: Humans are having a big impact on the environment. What are you doing as a group to be more environmentally friendly world citizens?
Take it further: If you want to continue on the environmental theme, you can also do the activity on page 29 of the World Thinking Day Activity Pack from the Compass section.
Share with WAGGGS and Our Chalet via social media what you do to reduce energy waste!
Twitter: @wagggs_world | @OurChalet
Facebook: wagggs | ourchalet
#ThisIsImpact | #WTD2018
Did you know? Our Chalet (located in Switzerland) has an Eco Hut full of environmental games and a hang-out space.
For more info: www.ourchalet.ch
- world thinking day
- world thinking day 2018
This activity doesn't complete any badge requirements