Backwoods Cooking - Dampers
Toasted bread snacks that are easy to make and even better to eat.
500g self-raising flour
80g caster sugar
Strawberry jam or chocolate spread, to serve
Kitchen Roll / Napkins
3 Ft Sticks (Green)
1. Put the flour into a big bowl. Add the sugar and mix. Pour water onto the flour a bit at a time and mix until it becomes dough. Knead lightly in the bowl until the dough comes together, then set aside for 10 minutes.
2. Divide the mixture in half, then break each half into 4 equal pieces so that you have 8 pieces of dough.
3. Take 1 lump of dough and roll it between your hands to make a sausage shape. Wrap the dough around the end of the stick and gently press it onto the stick so that it wonâ€™t fall off.
4. Cook the dampers over a campfire or barbecue for 10-12 minutes â€“ keep turning them so they turn golden brown all over.
5. Carefully tap the dough with your finger â€“ when itâ€™s cooked, it should feel solid when you tap it. Wrap some kitchen paper or a napkin around the damper and pull off the stick.
6. Fill the middle of each damper with either jam or chocolate spread.
- back woods cooking
- Backwoods Cooking - Embers
- Backwoods Cooking - Stick
- Outdoors - Backwoods