Recycle old newspapers in to plant pots
Newspapers, compost, seeds
Use this site for instructions, or attached file. http://www.forgreenies.com/origami-newspaper-seedling-pots
1. Make up origami seed pot
2. Add compost - pack in quite tight to make sure that the pot stands upright
3. Plant a seed (sunflowers & courgettes work well as they tend to grow quickly, are quite sturdy and child-proof!)
4. Send seed home - instruct Beavers/parents to put in a bowl or recycled plastic container before watering.
5. Take care of seed - keep on a window sill or somewhere warm and with lots of light. Keep soil moist, but try not to overwater as the newspaper might lose shape or start to disintegrate - a good measure is a little yoghurt pot every few days or whenever the soil and paper is dry to touch.
6. Once you have a strong stalk and 2 or three sets of leaves, you can plant the while pot outdoors. For sunflowers and courgettes, it's good to do this after the last frosts. Approx April - June (or follow instructions on seed packet!!!).
7. To link in with Gardener Activity Badge, talk about what tools you might need to plant the seed outdoors (spade/trowel, watering can) and how you can used them safely. Think about other tools in the garden that you use to keep it tide and look after it. When you're planting a seed, what do you need to look out for, etc?