Awareness night to tie in with Hemihelp Hemiplegia Awareness Week.
Use Hemihelp resources to enable Cubs to experience life with Hemiplegia.
1) Show video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg3-nxdXMJo (Hemihelp video showing hemi kids coping strategies)
2) Ask Cubs to put a mitten over their right hand to simulate impairment
3) Run bases: Using impaired hand, move lego bricks from one container to another, choose and unwrap boiled sweet, put on coat and lace up shoes, write name on notepaper, tear off and fold, use knife and fork to cut and eat a sausage
Discuss How did it make you feel? What was the biggest challenge? did you find another way.
Q & A with hemi sufferer at end of session - NOT BEFORE.
Ask Cubs to see if they can find out about e.g Sascha Kindred or other paralympians / famous people with hemiplegia
- Disability Awareness
- Disability Awareness - Explain
- Disability Awareness - Famous person
- Disability Awareness - One limb