What’s under the water?
An investigative activity for Cubs to find out what lurks within your local ponds and creeks.
One of the 'Cub Year Of Adventure 2015' activities
Pond life identification keys, pond dipping net trays, magnifying pots.
You can find worksheets and other useful information here:
1. Arrange a visit to a local pond or creek.
2. Divide the pack into teams.
3. Provide each team with the worksheets and one of each of the equipment
4. See what team can collect all the items on the sheet.
5. First, put a bit of water into the finds trays, ready for the pond creatures when caught. In turns, use a long handled net to scoop up creatures from the pond. Scrape along the bottom to get creatures which live in the mud.
6. Empty the nets into the finds tray.
7. They can then transfer their finds to magnifying pots for closer inspection.
8. At the end of the activity carefully put the animals back in the pond.
Take a look at our guidance for activities near water www.scouts.org.uk/watersafety
If you decide to venture into the water then remember there are rules and guidance for that too, go to www.scouts.org.uk/a-z and select ‘swimming’.
- Nature Activities
- Pond Dipping
- Year of Adventure
This activity doesn't complete any badge requirements