What life lives behind the rocks and under the woods.
One of the 'Cub Year Of Adventure 2015' activities
Jars, torches, bed sheet, magnifying glasses, insect identification key, pooters.
1. Take your pack out to your local green area.
2. Introduce the equipment and how to carefully collect bugs.
3. Now let them loose to see what they can find. Use the ID keys to find out what they have found.
4. Each team should be supervised.
5. LetsGoWild is a resource created in partnership with the Wildlife Trusts, Natural History Museum and the National Trust and can be downloaded from:http://members.scouts.org.uk/documents/LetsGoWild_Leadersncm.pdf
Tips: Insects come out at different times of day and in different weather. Set up a night time bug magnet using a white bed sheet and torches shone on it. The bugs are attracted to the light and land on the sheet waiting for identification.
If bug hunting near water take a look at our guidance for activities near water www.scouts.org.uk/watersafety