An activity to test the Cubs knot and pioneering skills to keep them afloat.
One of the 'Cub Year Of Adventure 2015' activities
pioneering poles 2 metres long, pioneering poles 1.5 metres long, plastic water drums, Sisal/rope, paddles, buoyancy aids.
1. Lay the staves on the ground in the shape of a rectangular grid.
2. Adjust the spaces between the staves so that the drums are a snug fit when they are laid on their sides.
3. Using sisal, lash the staves together with square lashings.
4. Hold each drum in place with two lengths of sisal tied as follows:
5. Start with a round turn and two half hitches on one of the side staves.
6. Pass the sisal over and around the drum and take two turns round the stave at the other side.
7. Pass the sisal under and around the drum and make it off on the stave you started on.
If you don’t want to test the raft with the Cub scouts the raft could be floated with a teddy bear placed on it.
If you plan to float the rafts then you’ll need to follow the rules at www.scouts.org.uk/a-z and select ‘traditional rafting’.