Plan a route using the standard Scout Route Plan Card
Blank Route Cards
Navigation Scout Skill Card (from membership packs)
Ideally, before starting this activity, Scouts will have completed the Basic Route Planning Techniques activity (this shows them what a route card is and how it works).
Working in patrols;
1. Provide a start and finish location for the walk together with a ideal length or duration
2. Get the patrols to agree an objective if the walk. (e.g. fitness, bird watching, get to the top, photography, nature hunt, etc)
3. Leaders support each patrol designing a route and documenting it using the route planning card.
4. Agree Escape Routes (discuss the need for these)
5. Plan when the route will be walked.
Organise a further activity to walk the route just planned.
- hike preparation
- map reading
- route plan
- Expedition - Equipment
- Expedition - Navigation
- Expedition - Route
- Hiker - Route plan