Take part in a Fire Drill and help make an emergency escape plan. Find out where the emergency exits and fire extinguishers are in your meeting place (Also part of Brownie Fire Safety)
To help Brownies understand what to do in case of a fire in the Brownie meeting place.
As a Leader it is essential that you complete a Fire Drill with your Unit at least once a year in order to ensure that all the Brownies know what to do in case of an emergency. Note absences any night you complete the drill and ensure you repeat the drill when those Brownies are present.
Explain to the Brownies that when the Fire Alarm goes off or the Leader informs them that there is a fire and they need to evacuate the building they must get up, leave everything and get out of the building as quickly and safely as possible. You must prepare a primary and secondary exit plan with the Brownies in case of emergency.
Some Key Points to reinforce with the Brownies are as follows:
· Form an orderly line and exit the building
· Never run while exiting the building
· If there is smoke they should crawl as close to the floor as possible
· Follow the green emergency exit signs in order to get out safely
· Gather at the designated meeting point
· Never return to the building for anything, no matter what
· Do not stop to take anything with you
You could encourage the Brownies to talk to their parents/guardians to develop an emergency escape plan at home also.