Through activities, identify ways of respecting and including different cultures
This activity will teach your Brownies how to respect other people and treat other people as they would like to be treated. Respect is being considerate of other people’s feelings. You can show respect for others by accepting other’s differences. You show respect to yourself with healthy habits. Animals, the environment and natural resources also deserve respect.
Get the Brownies to explain some ways that they can have good manners e.g. saying please, thank you, excuse me. Give the Brownies a number of situations as follows that they can act out by both having manners and not having manners:
1. You would like the mashed potatoes but the bowl is at the other end of the table.
2. You sneeze.
3. A new member of the Brownies has a wheelchair.
4. You accidently step on your brother’s foot.
5. You and your sister want to listen to different radio stations.
6. Your aunt calls you from another room.
7. You have finished your picnic but the bin is at the other side of the park.
8. Your friend brings you a present.
9. Brown Owl asks a question and you know the answer.
10. You see someone who looks different from you.
Discuss the importance of using manners to show respect to people and considering other people’s feelings.