Demonstrate how to wash your hands correctly and know when you should wash your hands and explain the importance of good oral hygiene
- Pencil/Pen for each Six
- Glue stick/Double sided tape
- Different coloured glitter
- Large sheet of paper
This activity will teach your Brownies how germs are passed by touch and can be airborne.
· Cover pen/pencil with glue/tape and cover in glitter
· Pass the pen around the Six, get the Brownies to write their name on the piece of paper with it
· Explain the glitter represents what can be on your hands if they’re not washed after using the bathroom / sneezing / touching raw meat
· Discuss: Where is the glitter/germs now? How did it get there? If you touch the counter or someone else, see what happens – more glitter/germs is passed on
· Show how the glitter/germs can be passed to each of them in the air (in a sneeze/cough) by blowing the glitter over the group – this is best done outside
· Discuss: Who is the glitter on now? Where is it? Will it be passed on further?
Get them to explain what they have learned to anyone they meet later who asks about the glitter.
This can also be used to demonstrate health issues and hygiene.
Glitter Germ Game from Irish Girl Guides GAT Resource Book available online www.irishgirlguides.ie/index.php/gat-pack.