IGG INVESTIGATE: Compulsory Challenge 11 GLOBAL AWARENESS
Play a game to gain some facts about the history of Guiding
Copy of “How Guiding was started” by Dorothy Crocker – available in attached file
This activity will teach your Brownies the history of Guiding and show how we are all connected.
1. The Brownies are in a circle formation. Divide them into four parts as below and briefly practise the actions they are to do when they hear their part mentioned in the story read by the narrator. You can also decide to let them do all parts if you wish.
2. Read the story (on next page) out loud while the Brownies do the necessary actions.
Parts and Actions
· Crystal Palace: stand, hands overhead, fingertips touching to make a roof, elbows stuck out to sides
· Robert Baden-Powell: stand very straight, salute with right hand to forehead
· Boys: jump up and yell "Hurray!”
· Girls: jump up, pump arms and shout "Girl Power!”
Discuss the story with the Brownies to show what we have in common with Brownies around the world...where we came from, what we do, how we wear a uniform, how we all celebrate World Thinking Day.
Dorothy Crocker, who wrote the story on the next page, passed away in 2005.
- global awareness
- Guiding Traditions
This activity doesn't complete any badge requirements