Evaluate the building in which you meet and find out how suitable it is for people who have a physical disability
This activity will help your Guides evaluate the building they meet in to see how suitable it is for people who have a physical disability.
1. Have a discussion with your Guides to see what they think they should look out for when assessing the building to check it’s suitability for people with a physical disability.
2. Suggest looking out for handrails, wider doors, arrangement of furniture, size of toilets, reserved parking etc.
3. In Patrols, Guides walk around the building taking notes of what they see.
4. Each Patrol can then share theirfindings with the rest of the Unit.
5. Suggestions on how to improve the building could be submitted to the owner.
If the Unit has access to a wheelchair, Guides could experience first-hand how easy/difficult it is to get around the building.