IGG GROW and FLY: Choice Challenge 05
Identify the healthy food plate
Sheet of paper for each Ladybird with a picture of a plate or large round circle
Introduce the Healthy Food Plate to your Ladybirds and help them understand how to eat healthily.
The healthy food plate is designed to make healthy eating easier. Eat foods from each group on the healthy food plate in the correct amounts each day. This way, you’ll get the balance of energy and nutrients you need for good health.
Chat with the Ladybirds about healthy eating. You don’t have to get the balance right at every meal, but try to get it right over a whole day or the week.
There is a picture of a healthy food plate in the attached file.
In a nutshell, the whole family should try to eat:
• plenty of bread, rice, potatoes, pasta and cereals – going for the wholegrain varieties whenever you can
• plenty of fruit and vegetables
• some milk, cheese and yoghurt
• some meat, fish, eggs, beans and other non-dairy sources of protein, and
• just a small amount of foods/drinks that are high in fat or sugar
After your discussion give each Ladybird a sheet with large circle or picture of a plate on it and ask them to draw in a healthy meal.
Little Steps by HSE and Safefood: www.littlesteps.eu
- food pyramid
- healthy body
- Healthy Eating
This activity doesn't complete any badge requirements