Creative project to test materials if they conduct electricity. When the bug touches a conducter the nose lights up.
D Size battery for the body
Torch Bulb for the nose
Plastic coated Electrical wire (less than 30 cms per bug)
Poster tack (putty) for the head
Bright coloured paper for the body (size of battery)
Coloured card for the wings
Pipe cleaners (1 per bug) for the legs
1. Cut a piece of wire 3 times the length of the battery; cut another piece 2 times the length
2. Cut into the plastic of the wire a finger's length from the end and pull the plastic off
3. Tape one end of the long wire to the flat end of the battery. Tape the wire along the side of the battery
4. Wrap one end of the short wire around the metal base of the small torch bulb
5. Hold the bulb base against the wire-free end of the battery. Surround it with poster tack to secure it.
6. Scrunch a palm-sized piece of kitchen foil tightly around each of the free ends of wire to make two balls
7. Cut a piece of bright paper to wrap around the body and tape it on
8. Draw 2 wings onto the card, but them on and glue them on the Bug's back
9. Cut 2 pipe cleaners in have. Tape 3 of the pieces across the bottom of the bug and bend them into legs
10. Make eyes from circles of paper. Draw pupils in the middle. Glue them on near the bulb (nose)
11. Now touch different things with both foil balls. If the objects are conductors, the bug's nose will light up.
NB. Your Cubs will need support to make sure that all the electrical wires are fully touching the battery and bulb.
This activity doesn't complete any badge requirements