Explain the importance of exercise and what it does for our bodies (Stepping Stones)
A large green cross,
A large red cross
A dozen or so “stepping stones” (newspaper sheets).
To understand and experience the benefits of physical activity
This Badge has 3 options of which 3 must be completed
Option 3 has 15 sub headings of which four must be completed
This activity will introduce the various aspects of physical health and hygiene to the Guides
Place the green and red crosses at opposite ends of the hall with the stepping stones spread between them. Guides stand on/around the middle stepping stone and take a ‘step’ towards the green cross if they agree with the statement you read out, or towards the red cross if they disagree.
• I take some form of exercise for at least 20 minutes 3 times a week.
• I brush my teeth at least twice a day.
• I often walk or cycle instead of getting a lift.
• I go outside at break-time in school.
• I change my shoes at least once a day.
• My bedclothes are changed at least once a fortnight.
• I drink at least 1 pint of water every day.
• I don’t leave food/drink containers lying around.
• I always wash my hands after using the bathroom.
• I always air my bed after I get up.
• I shower/bath/swim at least every second day.
• I wash my hair at least once a week, twice if I live in a city.
• I don’t sit in front of the T.V. for more than 1 hour a day
• I stretch when I get up in the morning.
Add any other statements relating to physical health/hygiene that you feel would be useful for the girls in your unit, and HAVE FUN!
Discussion Points: Discuss with the girls if they expected to end up where they did on the ‘path’ and how difficult it would be to make choices to improve this.