B2 Attend A Camp
Aim: To ensure that young people know how to put into practice the various aspects of canvas camping that have been taught In a theoretical or practice environment. A weeks camp at one of the Boys' Brigade registered camp sites I'm England or Wales. Meets the requirements of the BB Company Section Discoverer pack Recreation Outdoor and adventure B-2
• Once the young people have been given formal instruction on the various aspects of canvas based camps (See Tent Craft topic), it is important to put such knowledge into practice.
• During the camp it may be helpful to prepare a check list for the young people, with hints and tips on what to do. This should be customised to be suitable for your arrangements, but would probably include the following:
— General care of the tent, including:
- airing (rolling brailing and removal/folding-in of groundsheets)
- adjustments for changing weather conditions
— Tent Inspection
— Safety around tents and use of equipment (e.g. mallets)
• They should also know that they am expected to exhibit good conduct.
• Whilst at camp a tent pitching competition could take place as a way of getting the young people practising their skills.
Tips / Advice
Regular assessment over a long period (7 nights or 3 weekends) can be difficult with so much else going on. Use input from other members of staff and encourage young people who need to be reminded of the on-going assessment.
Whitecliff Bay I-O-W
Corfe Castle Dorset
For full details see the BB Company Section Discoverer pack Recreation Outdoor and adventure B-2
- attend camp
- Outdoor and Adventure
This activity doesn't complete any badge requirements