CR2-7 For Home
A selection of easy to make Craft activities to create items for the home. Taken from the BB Junior Pro Pack CR-2-7
• Coffee Filters
• Water colour paints
• Jars of water
• Paint brushes
• Wired coloured pipe cleaners one for each flower (green).
• Scraps of thick card for backing board
• Scraps of thin coloured card
• PVA glue
• Foam or paper shapes, (if available)
• Colouring pens/pencils
• Colouring pens/pencils
• Tissue paper
• Lolly pop sticks
Activity 1 - Mother's Day Flowers
Aim: To get the children to make flowers for their mothers or carers on Mother’s Day.
• Flatten the coffee filter onto the table.
• Then paint the filter using water colour paint
• To make different effects thin the paint with water in places to make the colour lighter. The children can use any combination of colours —best to use two colours per flower.
• You need to let the filters dry completely before cutting them.
• Cut about 2” off the end of a pipe cleaner and set both pieces aside. There are several different ways to make the filters into flowers.
• You can fringe the ends in thin strips (You can cut thicker strips, about 1’ wide each, to make the petals or don’t cut the filter at all to make a rose.
• Insert the large piece of pipe cleaner into the centre of the coffee filter about 1.5’ in.
• Hold onto the small end and turn the flower upside down so that the long end of the pipe cleaner is sticking up.
• Hold the centre of the coffee filter and gather it around the small end of the pipe cleaner
• Twist the smaller piece of the pipe cleaner around the gathered filter paper to secure the flower in place.
• Turn the flower back over and fluff the petals as needed.
• Make flower shapes by experimenting — have some real flowers for the children to use as ideas and make a few sample flowers ahead of time for the children to see and look at whilst they are working.
Activity 2 - Door Name Plates
Aim: To make a name plate for their bedroom door.
• Prepare your craft area and have a few boxes of paper and stickers around the area so that children can see and choose what they want to use for their name plate.
• Have some different shapes for the children to draw around on the thick card.
These are very simple to make. Use templates for the actual backing part of the name plate. This could be wood if you are able to get hold of some thin balsa wood. Otherwise use card.
• Draw around one of the shapes onto thick card for the backing board.
• Cut a piece of coloured card, felt or other material the same size and glue onto the backing board to cover.
• Cut another piece of thin card in a contrasting colour and slightly smaller than the first piece.
• Glue centrally on top of the first piece.
• Write a name onto the name plate or use foam letters or sticky letters and add a few simple decorations around the edge either with felt-tip pens or by sticking on foam, stickers or paper shapes.
You can use any materials but this something the children will love working on and taking home to put on their doors or bed. You can use Bluetack or double sided tape to give them to stick it on their doors.
Activity 3 - Hand Print Verse Frame
Aim: To create a Bible verse frame with the child’s handprint on it to hang at home.
Prepare your craft area and put out craft materials. When the child is making their hand print prepare some paint on a plate or on a sponge so that they can do this easily and then wash their hands so that paint does not get on clothes or tables.
• You can use any craft materials and any Bible verse that you feel is appropriate.
• The children make a hand print on the card.
• Write the bible verse onto the card, below the hand print.
• Decorate the card.
• Use loIly pop sticks to make to make a frame around the card’s edge.
Some ideas are:
For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
This is a great way to repeat a verse that you may have been learning or that you may be using as a church. It could also be used for Father’s Day or Mother’s day.
You can add holes into the top and put some string in to hang the frame
- craft activity
- craft, creative
- door hanger
- mothers day
- Picture frames
This activity doesn't complete any badge requirements