B2-4 Ball Games
Aim: Balls help to develop the many skills children need for play and sport. Ball games allow children to use different types of balls to practice throwing, rolling, bouncing, dribbling, catching, kicking and blocking. When children have fun playing with balls they develop competence and confidence for sport and play. Taken from the BB Anchors Pro Pack, Body B-2-4
• Two soft balls
Activity 2 & 4
• Soft ball
• Skittles / cones
• Soft balls
• 6 Skittles
• Large soft ball
• 6 small hoops
• 1 basket! bucket
• 1 tennis ball
Activity 1 - Bridge Ball
Aim: To improve reaction.
• Players should stand in a circle, with their feet wide apart and against their neighbours.
• The object of the game is to throw one of the two balls between the legs of any player before they can get their hands down and stop it.
• Players must keep their hands on their knees until a ball is thrown at them.
Score: Each time the ball goes between the legs of an individual, one point is scored.
Extension Tasks / Adaptations:
Vary the game by putting a player in the centre with a ball. They must roll the ball through the legs of any player they choose. Any player that allows the bail to go through their legs goes into the centre.
Activity 2 - Spud
Aim: To practise throwing and develop reactions.
• Players should huddle around a central point
• One player should throw the ball into the air, and shout out someone’s name.
• That person should retrieve the ball, and shout “freezer before the other players run away.
• They must then from that position throw the ball and try to hit any player below their waist.
• If a person is hit they are assigned a letter starting with S from the word Spud.
• If the person throwing the ball misses then they are assigned the letter.
• The process should then be repeated with the player who was targeted throwing the ball.
• Once a player has been given all the letters to spell SPUD, they are out of the game.
Extension Tasks / Adaptations:
Vary the game by putting a player in the centre with a ball. They must roll the ball through the legs of any player they choose. Any player that allows the ball to go through their legs goes into the centre.
Activity 3 - Skittle Ball
Aim: To practise aiming and blocking skills.
• Give each player a cone or skittle and get them to place it randomly around the room.
• Each player stands by their skittle trying to protect it by kicking the ball away from it and trying to hit the skittles of other players.
Score: One point per skittle knocked over.
Activity 4 - Head Cricket
Aim: To develop stamina.
• Split into two teams.
• The batting team should line up against a wall and take it in turns to head the ball and run to the safe wall opposite.
• A runner can stay on the safe side of the hall for as long as they want until there is one batter left.
• If the fielding team hits a batter below the knee or catches the ball from their head then they are out.
• If there is only one batter left then they must make it to the safe wall and back until they are hit or caught.
Score: One point per completed run to the safe wall and back.
Activity 5 - Pin Ball
Divide the hall into two and establish end zones.
• Divide into two teams, and assign each team to a side of the hall in front of their end zone.
• Place three skittles in each end zone, which the opposing team should aim to hit
• If the opposing team is hit below the waist by the ball, they must sit down where they were hit.
• From that position, they can carry on blocking the balls.
• When a team knocks down a pin they can rescue one sitting down player.
• When all three pins are down, players can no longer be rescued and a player hit is out of the game they are out
• The first team to knock down all three pins and eliminate all the opposition player wins.
Activity 6 - Hoop Pass Challenge
Aim: To develop throwing skills.
• Each player should stand in a hoop. and then starting from the back the ball should be thrown player to player forward.
• The player at the end should try and throw the ball and aim to get it into the bucket.
• They should then retrieve the ball and run to the back hoop and all the other players move up one hoop.
• Continue for 5 minutes.
Score: One point per tennis ball in bucket.
For full details see the BB Anchors Pro Pack, Body B-2-4
- ball games
This activity doesn't complete any badge requirements