In a language other than your own, make a collection of useful words and phrases that would help you communicate while travelling
Copies of Hello and Goodbye cards (see overleaf)
Aim of Badge
To develop an awareness and appreciation of cultures other than your own
This Badge has 5 options of which 5 must be completed
Hello & Goodbye
• Photocopy sufficient worksheet (see overleaf) Ensure that every girl can pair up with someone else. If you don’t have 18 participants, leave one or 2 of the languages out. If you have a large group of girls give out extra cards in 1 or 2 of the languages so that girls will end up in groups of 3.
• Cut up to make Country phrases card (9 in total)
• Give each Guide a phrase card
• They must match up with girls who are speaking in the same language as them
• In order to do this the girls, need to go around the room and say “hello” and “goodbye” in the language they have on their card and find their partner/group
Discuss other types of greetings without words e.g. a kiss, handshake.
• If there are any girls from other countries at the meeting - ask them to say hello in their language.
NOTE TO LEADER:
• Explain the game by looking at English first. “Hello” literally means ‘good day’ or ‘have a good day’ or ‘God’s day’. Hello evolved from hail in old English which evolved from heill from the Norse language which meant health. Goodbye evolved from ‘God be with you’.
IGG Outreach Pack 2008
Attachments/Template needed for activity? yes