Show how to use a reference book.
Aim of Badge: To develop a love of reading.
This Badge has 5 options of which 5 must be completed.
Ask the Guides the following questions:
What is a reference book?
It is a book containing useful facts or specially organised information, such as an encyclopedia, dictionary, atlas, yearbook, phonebook etc. A reference book is intended to be referred to rather than read through.
What is the difference between a dictionary, an encyclopedia and a phonebook?
A phonebook is a directory compiled to provide phone numbers and addresses for both business and private landline phone owners
A dictionary usually means a reference book used when a reader needs to know the meaning of a word
An encyclopedia is a book or set of books containing many articles arranged in alphabetical order that deal either with the whole of human knowledge or with a particular part of it
How to use an encyclopedia or phonebook:
When using an encyclopedia, a good option is to go to the list of contents at the beginning to look for the category required
However, it is often easier to go to the index located at the back of the encyclopedia to look up the word by the letter it starts with, which will be listed in alphabetical order in the index
How to use a dictionary:
1. Proceed to the letter of the alphabet that your word begins with. E.g. “dog” begins with “d”.
2. Check for the guidewords. These are located in the upper corner of each page and give you an indication of how close you are to locating your word.
3. Once close, use the second letter of your word to run down the page and locate your word. For example, if you were looking for the word “futile”, “u” is the second letter.
4. Scan down the list of entry words until you reach the “FUT” area of the page.
5. Continue adding in a letter until you find the word.
a. Give each Patrol or Guide a word/phone number/ or article to look up to complete this option.
b. Discuss the benefits and disadvantages of using printed reference versus using the internet.
Source: Trefoil News spring 2018
Attachments/Template needed for activity? None