IGGSPECIAL FOCUS Brownie Sustainable Development Goal 03
No. 3. Good Health and Well-being (Activity 5 Hospitals-Healthcare around the World)
Picture (see overleaf)
Aim Please refer to Leaders introduction (IGG Brownie Special Focus No 3 (Leaders Introduction to Activities)
Hospitals/ Healthcare Around the World
To explore Brownies understanding of what it might be like to visit or stay in hospital in Ireland/third world country
• Brownies join the Pow Wow circle
• Open the discussion with who has ever visited/stayed the night in hospital.
• Was the hospital clean
• Did you see doctors and nurses?
• Were you given the medicine you needed
• Did you have and X-ray
• Ask the Brownies how far away the local hospital is
• If they broke an arm at school would they walk to the hospital?
Explain that in some countries hospitals are not as modern as in Ireland
Often, they are very far away from where some people live
In these poorer countries a lot of children and adults do not have access to basic healthcare and get very ill and/or die
Sometimes hospitals are destroyed in natural disasters and the local people have to go even further for medical care.
Many Irish doctors and nurses volunteer abroad with medical charities even where there is war – perhaps the unit could do a fundraiser or donate one euro of subs etc
Show them the photos discussing similarities and differences with Irish hospitals. E.g. cleanliness, indoor/outdoor, privacy etc
IGG GAT Pack
Attachments/Template needed for activity? Yes
- IGG SPECIAL FOCUS Sustainable Development Goals (SDG’S)
- Special focus Badge
- Special Focus, Hospitals. Healthcare
- SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS
This activity doesn't complete any badge requirements