No. 3. Good Health and Well-being (Activity 8 Make a Water Filter)
Plastic Drinks bottle
Cotton wool balls
Aim Please refer to Leaders introduction (IGG Brownie Special Focus No 3 (Leaders Introduction to Activities)
Make a Water Filter
Show the girls a plastic cup with muddy water in it. Ask them if it is safe to drink. Why/ Why not?
• Find or make some dirty water by adding cooking oil, soil and small pieces of paper
• Cut a plastic drink bottle in half
• Turn the top half upside down so it’s like a funnel
• Build your filter in the funnel using gravel, sand and cotton wool balls
• Experiment with different layers of filter material to see what is most effective
• DON’T attempt to drink the filtered water!
Talk about how important healthy water is to prevent the spread of disease.
WAGGGS GAT Badge Fact sheets
Attachments/Template needed for activity? No