IGG Interest Badge Ladybird STEM Option 03
Plastic Wrap (Cling Film)
1 Teaspoon Uncooked Rice
Metal Pan (Baking Sheet or Trays are good but must be metal)
Metal Spoon (dessert/soup)
Aim of Badge
To discover STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) in an easy and fun way through simple experiments and activities.
This Badge has 12 options of which 5 must be completed
(1 Leader Demonstration Option and 4 Ladybird Options)
1. Tear off a piece of plastic wrap (Cling Film) big enough to cover the top of the large bowl.
2. Secure the plastic wrap over the bowl.
3. Make sure that the plastic wrap is very tight.
4. Pour 1 teaspoon of uncooked rice on the top of the plastic wrap.
5. Hold the metal pan in the air and position it next to the bowl
6. Take the metal spoon and bang on the metal container like a drum and watch what happens to the rice.
How Does the Experiment Work?
The rice moves and jumps around because of the sound waves that are caused when the spoon hits the pan. These sound waves travel through the air and when then reach the plastic wrap it vibrates causing the rice to move. The sound waves are also what allow us to hear the noise of the spoon hitting the pan.
Attachments/Template needed for activity? None
- Branch Weekend 2018
- interest badge
- Interest Badge Ladybird STEM
- Ladybird STEM
- See Sound
- Trefoil News Summer 2018
This activity doesn't complete any badge requirements