IGG Interest Badge Ladybird STEM Option 05
Tower Cup Challenge
200/300 Plastic Cups
Large wide Lollypop Sticks
Aim of Badge
To discover STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) in an easy and fun way through simple experiments and activities.
This Badge has 12 options of which 5 must be completed
(1 Leader Demonstration Option and 4 Ladybird Options)
A cup isn’t very tall. But what about a lot of cups?
Let’s build a tower out of cups!!
How high can we build?
A. Divide the Unit into teams of equal numbers
B. Give two groups cups only
C. Give two groups cups and lollipop sticks
D. Encourage each group to experiment to make the tallest tower
1. Divide the Unit into pairs
2. Ladybird work in pairs to complete the challenge
3. However, some will want to try the challenge on their own. That’s Ok.
4. Give everyone a supply of cups, (10 to start with) and plenty of working space.
5. Within a few minutes, you will hear requests for more cups, so have a supply nearby
6. The towers will topple and crash down for some of the builders!
7. Introduce the lollypop sticks to the challenge
8. Immediately, the girls will notice the difference.
SOME EXAMPLES OF CUP TOWERS (See attached file)
Acknowledgement/Source (See attached file )
Attachments/Template needed for activity? Yes 1 page
- Branch Weekend 2018
- interest badge
- Interest Badge Ladybird STEM
- Ladybird STEM
- plastic cup tower
- Trefoil News Summer 2018
This activity doesn't complete any badge requirements