IGG Brownie Cultural Diversity 5. Celebrate an International Cultural Festival (Multiple Activities)
Aim of Badge
To develop an awareness and appreciation of cultures other than your own.
Activity 1: 1 wooden broom handle; lengths of ribbon (approx. 3/4 length of pole); twine to tie around ribbons to keep them in place
Activity 4: White grape juice; fresh strawberries; soda water/lemonade
Activity 5: Flower pot; seeds or bulbs; compost
1) Make a Maypole
Materials: 1 wooden broom handle; lengths of ribbon (approx. 3/4 length of pole); twine to tie around ribbons to keep them in place
• Tie ribbons to the broom handle using twine and secure well. Have fun dancing around the maypole and ducking in and out between other people’s ribbons.
• There are lots of examples of dances on YouTube e.g. https://www.wikihow.com/Celebrate-May-Day
2) Have a Campfire
In Germany, bonfires were lit on May Day and herds of cattle were driven between two fires, to rid them of evil spirits.
3) Hold a Dance
Dancing is a traditional way to celebrate May Day. Have a dance at your meeting using music you like.
4) Have some May Day Punch
Ingredients: White grape juice; fresh strawberries; soda water/lemonade
• Mix all ingredients together in a jug and stir well.
5) Celebrate May Day by Planting Flowers
Materials: Flower pot; seeds or bulbs; compost
• Give each girl a pot, compost and some seeds or a bulb.
• Fill the pot ¾ full with compost and press down.
• Push the seeds or bulb into the compost and top up with some more compost.
• Water the pot and place it in a warm spot to germinate.
Trefoil News Summer 2018
Attachments/Template needed for activity? No
- interest badge
This activity doesn't complete any badge requirements