IGG BROWNIE INTEREST BADGE Cultural Diversity Option 05.
Celebrate an International Cultural Festival (Ramadan Lanterns)
Purple cardstock paper
Golden washi tape
Golden gel pen
Aim of Badge To develop an awareness and appreciation of cultures other than your own
This Badge has five options of which five must be completed.
This idea comes from our friend Manal Aman of Hello Holy Days. The lantern has great historical significance for Muslims observing Ramadan; they were used when going outside to observe the moon, to help a Ramadan drummer wake up the neighbourhood for their pre-dawn meal, and perform night time prayers. Here, the lantern is reimagined on a smaller scale as place cards for an iftar party. "Guests will love the personalised touch," she says, "plus, they can take the lanterns home as favours!"Instructions
• Cut out pieces from the purple cardstock measuring 6 inches by 3 and a 1/4 inches in size. Fold the cardstock in half, lengthwise.
• On the folded edge, make marks on the cardstock every 3/4 inch. Use scissors to make vertical cuts, making sure to leave about 1/2 inch of space at the top.
• Unfold the piece of paper and then bring the two long ends together to make a cylinder. Tape in place, making sure that when the ends are taped, they leave a slit about the same size as the rest of the slits on the cylinder.
• Hold the cylinder between the palm of your hands and press down to give the cylinder a more geometric shape for your lantern.
• Cut out a strip of paper from your purple cardstock paper, measuring 1/2 inch wide by 3 and a 1/2 inch long. This will be the handle for your lantern. Use tape to secure the handle onto the inside of the lantern.
• Cut and stick a length of golden washi tape to the top and bottom borders of your lantern for a striking look.
• To make name tags, cut a small strip from white paper and use scissors to make a fishtail edge on one end. Write names with gold gel pens and finish by taping on name tags to the handle of the lantern.
Acknowledgement/Source: Trefoil News Summer 2018
Attachments/Template needed for activity? No
- Art and craft
- Brownie Challenge 2018-2019
- IGG Interest Badge Brownie Cultural Diversity
- interest badge
- Trefoil News Summer 2018
This activity doesn't complete any badge requirements