IGG INTEREST BADGE Guide Engineering Option 01(c)
What is engineering? Imagine Planet Earth in 50 years.....
Think of possible engineering solutions for future problems
(Engineering Solutions for future problems)
A3 size paper
Prompt Sheet (see overleaf)
How Engineers solve flooding problems in Ireland (see overleaf)
Aim of Badge To take on an engineering project – everyone can be an engineer!
This Badge has 4 options of which 4 must be completed
Option 4 has 5 sub sections of which 1 must be completed using the engineering design process
Engineering Solutions for future problems
The central idea of this activity is to encourage Guides to think of engineering like an engineer – to identify a problem, typically one that affects the population, assess it and then think of possible solutions. This is a great opportunity for them to think outside the box with no limitations on their imagination.
• Give each Patrol a large sheet of paper, pencils, markers and a copy of the Prompt sheet (see overleaf)
• Explain each Patrol will work as a team to Imagine Planet Earth in 50 years
• Explain the following timeline to complete section one and two of the process. Leader will need to use a stop watch to keep the activity flowing.
1. Imagine what the Earth will look like in 50 years (5mins)
2. Potential Problems (8mins)
3. Possible Solutions (10 mins)
Leaders Hint: If required share the “Solve Flooding Problems in Ireland” poster (see overleaf)
• Each Patrol explain the sketch to the Unit showing what and where these problems arise (if possible)
Attachments/Template needed for activity? Yes 2 pages
- Planet Earth
- Branch Weekend 2018
- Engineering Design Process
- engineering solutions
- Interest Badge Guide Engineering
- Trefoil News Summer 2018
This activity doesn't complete any badge requirements